- 1.326.261 inhabitants in Aragon (Jan-2021)
- Number of ageing people 65-79: 191.988 inhabitants (Jan-21)
- Number of ageing people 80+: 97.615 inhabitants (Jan-21)
- Number of patients 65+ with long term chronic conditions: 70% (202.722 inhabitants)
Servicio Aragonés de Salud (SALUD) is a public institution that under Aragón Health Department defines the health and social care in the region of Aragon and is integrated in the Spanish National Health System.
SALUD holds competences in primary, specialised and mental healthcare provisioning for the population, as set forth in the Servicio Aragonés de Salud Law, approved via Legislative Decree 2/2004, 30th December.
SALUD works closely with Aragón Health Department via the Healthcare General Directorate & the Digital Transformation, Innovation and User Rights General Directorate defining health strategies and coordinating resources for digital transformation.
In line with this, the Aragon Health Department and SALUD promotes healthy lifestyles, and active ageing via prevention and protection actions. Moreover, it ensures provision of health and social care in case of illness and dependency, as well as ensure the highest degree of patient’s autonomy in their environment and in society.
The site engages with the Quadruple Helix stakeholders via different means:
- active weekly participation in the working groups of the Spanish National Health System Inter-territorial Council (CISNS) which is the entity for Regional health services cooperation and intercommunication with each other and with the State administration to provide cohesion to the system and guarantee citizen rights throughout the country through design, development and implementation of cooperation projects;
- close cooperation in projects with the National Research Institute Carlos III (ISCIII) is a Public Research Organization (OPI) of the Government responsible for funding and executing national biomedical research;
- via patient associations at regional, national and European levels;
- European Funded cooperation projects;
- via close collaboration with industry in designing, developing and implementing healthcare solutions, and
- via close cooperation with academia both from Vocational Training Schools and Universities.
National Action Plan for Primary and Community Care approved in Dec-21 (period 2022-2026 – Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF) under NGEU funding. Aragón as 4* reference site plays an active role and is leading the Telemonitorisation Action Group for all Spanish regions. The objective is to move towards a 5P (Predictive, Preventive, Participatory, Personalized, and Precision Medicine) Care Model which enhances health promotion and prevention, monitoring and continuity of care, and orientation to self-care and recovery (https://bit.ly/37W02pD).
SALUD has been actively involved in EU projects since 2002, related to health innovation via ICTs oriented to frail elderly, active ageing & independent living, chronic diseases management, integrated care & mental health. These programmes have promoted empowerment of the elderly in managing their own health via tele-monitoring, as well as healthcare professionals change management releasing these from low-value tasks, now assumed by patients. HealthOptimum (eTen C046273), RESATER (Interreg Sudoe SOE1/P3/F197), eRESATER (Interreg Sudoe SOE3/P1/F682), DREAMING (7PM ICT/PSP/2007/1 225023), SUSTAINS (CIP-ICT-PSP-2011-5 297206), SMARTCARE (7PM ICT-PSP 325158), MASTERMIND (7PM CIP-ICT-PSP-2013-7 621000), POLYCARE (H2020 PHC-25-2015), EMPATTICS (H2020-PHC-27-2015 690492).
Currently, the ongoing European projects are:
- European funded project ROSIA (H2020-SC1-DTH-2020-1). (https://rosia-pcp.eu/)
- European funded project GATEKEEPER (H2020-SC1-FA-DTS-2018-2020), (https://www.gatekeeper-project.eu/)
- Implementation of Aragón Patient Summary & ePrescription through the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) platform
Areas of Good Practice
Integrated care for the management of personalised rehabilitation plans for patients with severe mental disorder (SMI). PPR-TMG platform. Focussed on patients with severe mental disorders, of any age. 1803 patients in Aragon and there is a waiting list of 65 patients.
SirCovid: an ICT system between elderly residential centres and the Aragon health system. Health care programme for elderly living in residential centres, based on the principles of health promotion, disease prevention, and health care for elderly and frail people.
The Health Department of Aragón has obtained 4 stars
The Health Department of Aragón has obtained a 4 stars award as a European Reference site for its innovation supported by ICTs and its active aging policies.
Website, and other social media links to the AHA Reference Site
- Website : http://sectorbarbastro.salud.aragon.es/es/innovacion
- Contact : email@example.com